Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari
Póstar: 63
Skráði sig: Fim 05. Maí 2022 10:41
Staða: Ótengdur

Laptop suggestions for programming?

Pósturaf gogomal » Mið 24. Júl 2024 09:14

Hello, I'm soon going to my second year in programming and I wanna change computer.

I got asus rog strix g16 before thinking I may also use it for gaming. That didn´t end up being the case and now I feel like its too heavy as well to bring with me all the time.

So I´m thinking of giving it to my boyfriend and buying something else.

With that said does anyone have any good recommendations for a windows laptop.
I mostly want it to have really good battery, and thin and portable and obviously be fast for programming.

I know I need probably i7 and 32GB of ram but Ive kind of have a hard time finding that in Iceland and also not have a gpu and be a gaming laptop.
Idk let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance :)

TheAdder
FanBoy
Póstar: 791
Skráði sig: Mið 09. Des 2020 11:22
Staða: Tengdur

Re: Laptop suggestions for programming?

Pósturaf TheAdder » Mið 24. Júl 2024 09:36

I have one of these at work, and am satisfied with it.
https://verslun.origo.is/tolvur-og-skja ... 1pro-36473

NZXT 710i - Ryzen 7 5800X - 32GiB 3200 M/T RAM - X570 Aorus Ultra - PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX - 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Mið 24. Júl 2024 09:59

TheAdder skrifaði:I have one of these at work, and am satisfied with it.

Thanks! How is the battery life?

TheAdder
FanBoy

Pósturaf TheAdder » Mið 24. Júl 2024 10:07

gogomal skrifaði:
TheAdder skrifaði:I have one of these at work, and am satisfied with it.

Thanks! How is the battery life?

I've mostly used it in the office so far, and haven't had a chance to check it so far. My experience with ThinkPads however, has been that battery life has been decent.

NZXT 710i - Ryzen 7 5800X - 32GiB 3200 M/T RAM - X570 Aorus Ultra - PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX - 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

joishine
Nörd
Póstar: 110
Skráði sig: Lau 08. Sep 2012 23:43

Pósturaf joishine » Mið 24. Júl 2024 10:13

A suggestion I'd make if you are just doing somewhat standard programming for school and not something immensely intensive is to grab an old laptop and set it up with Linux.

The benefits of learning Linux as a programmer cannot be understated, using Linux every day gets you working in a programming/IT state of mind as you will have to read documentation and figure out how to do all types of normal everyday stuff like install programs and what not. And you can get away with an old and just bad laptop and it'll still do an amazing job really. It's at least something I will always suggest to CS students.

Mind you, you don't have to go the route of getting an old laptop to set it up with Linux, you could run a dual OS on a newer laptop or just go full Linux even if the laptop is new. But just having your school computer as a Linux based system is imo the way to go.

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Mið 24. Júl 2024 10:24

joishine skrifaði:A suggestion I'd make if you are just doing somewhat standard programming for school and not something immensely intensive is to grab an old laptop and set it up with Linux.

The benefits of learning Linux as a programmer cannot be understated, using Linux every day gets you working in a programming/IT state of mind as you will have to read documentation and figure out how to do all types of normal everyday stuff like install programs and what not. And you can get away with an old and just bad laptop and it'll still do an amazing job really. It's at least something I will always suggest to CS students.

Mind you, you don't have to go the route of getting an old laptop to set it up with Linux, you could run a dual OS on a newer laptop or just go full Linux even if the laptop is new. But just having your school computer as a Linux based system is imo the way to go.

That suggestion sounds great, however I'm doing full time school with full time work and I don't really have the time to create more struggles for myself haha

Thank you though!

Trihard
Ofur-Nörd
Póstar: 299
Skráði sig: Lau 11. Júl 2020 19:18

Pósturaf Trihard » Mið 24. Júl 2024 10:46

I can do all the work I need on my M1 macbook Pro. You have to subscribe to Parallels for 7500kr/year with a school discount to be able to use windows or Ubuntu linux on it and I’ve found that it works incredibly well for all my Mechanical engineering related work on both linux and Windows as well as macos.

For the best energy efficiency performance/wattage wise the macs simply outperform any windows trashcan you can find out there.

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Mið 24. Júl 2024 16:37

Trihard skrifaði:I can do all the work I need on my M1 macbook Pro. You have to subscribe to Parallels for 7500kr/year with a school discount to be able to use windows or Ubuntu linux on it and I’ve found that it works incredibly well for all my Mechanical engineering related work on both linux and Windows as well as macos.

For the best energy efficiency performance/wattage wise the macs simply outperform any windows trashcan you can find out there.

I understand that but I am looking for a windows laptop not a mac

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Mán 19. Ágú 2024 13:26

Trihard skrifaði:I can do all the work I need on my M1 macbook Pro. You have to subscribe to Parallels for 7500kr/year with a school discount to be able to use windows or Ubuntu linux on it and I’ve found that it works incredibly well for all my Mechanical engineering related work on both linux and Windows as well as macos.

hey sooooo i think im gonna actually have to get a macbook :megasmile please do ignore my last response :mad1

do u have any suggestions on which macbook i should go for for school?

Skjámynd

Kristján
Of mikill frítími
Póstar: 1743
Skráði sig: Sun 02. Jan 2011 12:37

Pósturaf Kristján » Mið 21. Ágú 2024 22:51

Min specs for my parts are:

RAM min: 16GB
SSD min: 500GB

since you are going for a mac then processor is not a problem, get any on the M1,2,3, within the budget.
you have 12 14 and 16" screen size on the mac so just go to a store and check out what you like.

Use the cloud for your school data, no loosing assays due to bad ssd or usb drives

Try going to some stores and try out the keyboards and the weight of the laptops as well

TheAdder
FanBoy

Pósturaf TheAdder » Mið 21. Ágú 2024 22:56

gogomal skrifaði:

hey sooooo i think im gonna actually have to get a macbook :megasmile please do ignore my last response :mad1

Out of curiosity, why do you have to get a Mac?

As far as I can tell, a MacBook Air M1 would be a great choice.

dadik
Tölvutryllir
Póstar: 634
Skráði sig: Lau 14. Sep 2002 11:21
Staðsetning: Reykjavik
Hafðu samband:

Pósturaf dadik » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 09:41

gogomal skrifaði:

Just buy a Lenovo Yoga 7 slim

ps5 ¦ zephyrus G14

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 09:56

TheAdder skrifaði:
gogomal skrifaði:

Out of curiosity, why do you have to get a Mac?

As far as I can tell, a MacBook Air M1 would be a great choice.

Uhm well I was wanting something light and with really good battery life because I'm sick of having to plug in my laptop after 3-4 hours.
When I looked for windows laptops with good battery life all the suggestions are ones with the snapdragon x elite and ARM stuff in general so that wont really do because of compatibility issues and stuff in school I don't really wanna have the stress of that on top of everything else.

So that kinda seems like it leaves me only macbook as an option?

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 09:57

dadik skrifaði:
gogomal skrifaði:

Does it have good battery life?
Edit: Are you suggesting the models with snapdragon because it seems like that will be a pain to use especially in school..:/
Síðast breytt af gogomal á Fim 22. Ágú 2024 09:59, breytt samtals 1 sinni.

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 12:09

https://elko.is/vorur/asus-zenbook-14-u ... 05MAPURE16

thoughts on this one? im seeing really good things about the battery life, and elko does allow you to test it and return if its not up to standard within 30 days so seems like a good option?

Trihard
Ofur-Nörd
Póstar: 299
Skráði sig: Lau 11. Júl 2020 19:18

Pósturaf Trihard » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 12:16

gogomal skrifaði:https://elko.is/vorur/asus-zenbook-14-u7321tboled120hz-14-fartolva-354678/ASUX3405MAPURE16

thoughts on this one? im seeing really good things about the battery life, and elko does allow you to test it and return if its not up to standard within 30 days so seems like a good option?

I’d look in Costco and buy a Macbook with 16gigs of Ram and 512gb ssd,
You will hate the finger smudging, the fan noise, the heat output and the flimsiness of that Asus laptop within like a month.

TheAdder
FanBoy

Pósturaf TheAdder » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 12:53

gogomal skrifaði:https://elko.is/vorur/asus-zenbook-14-u7321tboled120hz-14-fartolva-354678/ASUX3405MAPURE16

This looks decent, if the battery life is good enough for you, it should fulfill your needs.

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 13:03

TheAdder skrifaði:

This looks decent, if the battery life is good enough for you, it should fulfill your needs.

Yeah I am seeing really good things, so I may just try it from elko and decide within a month since that's an option but the battery should show pretty quickly how it is. Hopefully it's good [-o<

dadik
Tölvutryllir
Hafðu samband:

Pósturaf dadik » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 14:34

gogomal skrifaði:
dadik skrifaði:
gogomal skrifaði:

Does it have good battery life?
Edit: Are you suggesting the models with snapdragon because it seems like that will be a pain to use especially in school..:/

So basically all the latest cpu's from Intel and AMD are good. The mobile CPU's from AMD (7xxx and 8xxx series) have all good battery life as well as the new Core stuff from Intel. I have a T14 with Core Ultra 165 and battery life is fine.

ps5 ¦ zephyrus G14

frr
Ofur-Nörd
Póstar: 203
Skráði sig: Þri 01. Ágú 2006 14:59

Pósturaf frr » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 14:36

For the moment I would personally shy away from any recent high end Intel CPUs, desktop or laptop:
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-compone ... in-testing
AMD with good APU would be on my mind, that might change next year to ARM.

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 14:45

frr skrifaði:For the moment I would personally shy away from any recent high end Intel CPUs, desktop or laptop:

I believe the one i posted is a meteor lake not a raptor lake so maybe its ok?

frr
Ofur-Nörd
Póstar: 203
Skráði sig: Þri 01. Ágú 2006 14:59

Pósturaf frr » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 14:54

gogomal skrifaði:
frr skrifaði:For the moment I would personally shy away from any recent high end Intel CPUs, desktop or laptop:

I believe the one i posted is a meteor lake not a raptor lake so maybe its ok?

They are somewhat different, but I'm not ready to say that they are safe from the same or similar failures.

Skjámynd

hoaxe
has spoken...
Póstar: 160
Skráði sig: Mán 28. Jún 2010 00:06
Staðsetning: Interweb

Pósturaf hoaxe » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 16:27

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=97710

You could check out this thinkpad :D, will do everything u need and more. It weighs around 2.9kg's(6.4lbs) but the 16inch screen might be to big.
Síðast breytt af hoaxe á Fim 22. Ágú 2024 16:28, breytt samtals 1 sinni.

Ryzen 5 5800X3D - CM ML360R AIO - Asus ROG Strix x570-e - Trident Z 32gb 3200mhz CL14 - RedDevil 6900XT - Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850w - Corsair iCue QL120 - BeQuiet! 500dx - Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 240hz - Logitech G-Pro Ultralight - Custom built keyboard - Astro A50 ver 4

Höfundur
gogomal
Fiktari

Pósturaf gogomal » Fim 22. Ágú 2024 17:13

Thanks! I ended up going with the Asus. Gonna try it out for a bit and hopefully it's good :D wish me luck hhaa

dadik
Tölvutryllir
Hafðu samband:

Pósturaf dadik » Fös 23. Ágú 2024 13:10

Nice - do you have it already?

ps5 ¦ zephyrus G14